Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Cirque du Soleil - Octopus

I was asked to body paint an Octopus body suit for a charity event called One Night for One Drop, put on by Cirque du Soleil at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. This is an amazing charity that strives to ensure that water is accessible to all, today and forever. I was honored to be part of such an excellent cause.

The Sketch.

Upon approval of the sketch, they shipped me the outfit, a tiny bodysuit to be worn by one of their performers.
 
Body Paint Suit: Pashur | Mannequin Model: Kristin Lee

I broke out my airbrush paints and airbrushed the entire outfit while my friend Kristin Lee posed as my living mannequin! Because it was permanent airbrush paint on a body suit - I couldn't make a single mistake, as the mistakes wouldn't wipe off. Lines not matching up? NOT AN OPTION!! Oops, let me grab a baby wipe? NOT AN OPTION. Whew, talk about pressure! Upon completion, I shipped the outfit back to them.
Body Paint Suit: Pashur | Face Make-Up: Wester Cooley | Performer: Marina Popazov
Headpiece: Charly Reanczya & Eric Clark | 
Photo by Tomo Muscionico

On the night of the performance, my friend Wester did the face make up for the Octopus character. Marina Popazov, the performer also wore a headpiece made by Charly Reanczya and Eric Clark. I wish I could have seen the performance in person, but I was happy to be part of supporting One Drop, even from afar.