Thursday, August 13, 2015

NY Bodypainting Day

Photo of my completely nude pregnant model walking the streets of New York City.
Photo from The Gothamist / Photo by Scott Lynch

I was lucky enough to participate in NYC Bodypainting Day, held on July 18 as one of their featured artists. This event was put on by my colleague, Andy Golub, who fought and won several court cases for artist's rights regarding nude body painting. The theme for the event was "What the World Needs Now".

My fiancé and I woke up early that morning in New Jersey and caught a train into New York City.
While on the train, we brainstormed a concept for my model, who was pregnant. What does the world need now? Positive Changes, aka Rebirth. So it was only fitting to paint a Phoenix, the ultimate creature of rebirth, on my model.

We arrived in NYC, then caught a cab to Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, in the heart of Manhattan, where the event was taking place. The 75 participating artists and well over 100 models were already in line to register. I saw artists I recognized from across the country along with many new faces, all excited to be part of the event.
To no one’s surprise, about 100 photographers were also already there, and ready to photograph the models! As the day went on hundreds of additional photographers arrived to photograph our art (and a few nude models too).

My model, who I was randomly assigned prior to the event, just so happened to be behind me in line giving us a chance to chat before the painting started. After registering, I walked into a roped off section in the square, to a pre-designated spot assigned to me to paint in. My model was there waiting for me, both nervous and excited. I told her I was going to paint her as a Phoenix. Her eyes lit up, as she let out a, “ No way! That's crazy! My guy and I agreed that if we had a boy we would be naming him Phoenix". How great was that? To add to the craziness, a Cuban documentary film crew came over, and both cameramen had phoenix tattoos on their forearm. Perhaps it was a sign?

I was surrounded by other incredible artists painting about every possible variation of human being... every ethnicity, body shape, age, and orientation. It was an incredible sight!!! We all dove in and painted our assigned models with a palette of 6 colors already selected for us.

4 short hours later, the models were done - and then they walked the streets of New York City to the UN Building.

Nudity is not something to be ashamed of. Body painting is for everyone and we are all works of art.
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
BEHIND THE SCENES
 


 
Photo by Dez Santana
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
EVENT PHOTOS
 
Photo by Ruben Garcia
 
Photo by Victor Mirontschuk
 
Photo by 6 Round Studio (Orlando, FL)
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
PRESS
 
DAILY NEWS
Check out my video interview by Cat Sandoval for the Daily News...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5wRkBKmX34
 
MASHABLE